Sunday, January 10, 2010

MINI-BELATED-WITH-OKAASAN- NEW YEAR PARTY

9 JANUARY 2010
MEMBER: teng, joyce, my host family (okaasan, and her hubby)



salmon salad^^




I managed to reach 明石駅, where my host family house is, at 11am on the dot. Yesss!!! After a whole year in Japan I have finally IMPROVED man! Now all I have to do is to be 5 minutes earlier (Japanese standard).

FYI: though my college's called 明石高専, the nearest station to my place isn't  明石駅, its 魚住駅.


My okaasan let us make 生キャラメル(caramel candies) ^^ while she do the final preparations for lunch. Her daughter won the pot to make caramel candies the other day in a nearby mall.


looks nice but didn't tasted that nice =(


radish salad, spring roll thingy, pumpkin soup, SALMON salad, KUSHI age
The 串揚げ is  a bit like steamboat, except its a pot of oil instead of soup and you put stuff simliar to ayam mas (but taste a lot better) in and fry them. Its really fun. They actually got write how many seconds you should fry it like 60 or 120 seconds and what type of shouyu (western style shoyu, japanese style shoyu,  strong shoyu) it goes with on the sticks. Specific. Exactly what you can expect from Japan!
Having something to do besides eating and talking is really a lot more fun =)

After lunch, the four of us talk talk again, then my okaasan shown me wedding photos of her former host son. I'm the third 'child' she hosted by the way. Her first one was a Vietnamese and the second one was a Laos guy. She loves them to bits. Or so i think cause she's always talking about them.

After a short while...
tea time~ Life is wonderful.


desserts: disney halloween cookies, strawberries, BEARD PAPA (*sigh* heaven)

They all laughing happily cause I knocked down a vase while hurrying over after i pressed the timer button  -_______-





joyce, me, my okaasan, and her hubby

hehe i made them all move around the house just for this photo. The height of the camera was ok but i wanted to tilt the camera a bit down so that the food would be captured as well. In the end the okaasan and otousan went hunting around their house for a canon camera stand. hohoho~ But it was worth it.  I mean, just look at the strawberries! Don't they look huge and delicous (which they are by the way) thanks to the angle of the tilted camera?

I think my okaasan is beginning to like me a little. I can 'feel' it from the difference of amount of food she prepared.   
And the reason is probably.....

Once upon a time...

Actually Joyce and I were supposed to go to her home at January 2. There was another okaasan called Kasama who throws a new year party where all the akashi foreign students go to every year and this year, it happened to be on January 2 too. But Joyce and I decided to go to my okaasan's place anyway and reconfirmed it with my okaasan. Then one night Joyce received a phone call from Baaba, who's in charge of all the okaasans, saying that after they discussed, we're to go to Kasama's place. And that my okaasan is also in understanding of the current situation but that I should still send her a msg to thank her for inviting us over just for manners anyway. I felt a bit weird but didn't want to question, cause I thought my okaasan might be having a hard time to tell me she wants to spend the new year alone with just her family , therefore, asked baaba to tell me so.
But in the end, it turns out that they didn't have any sort of discussion after all and that my okaasan never heard anything about it. And that she was quite hurt after I sent a mail saying 'thank you blabla but i'm not going blabla' cause she was really looking forward to it. After we cleared the misunderstanding she asked me to go to over to Kasama's place anyway cause things would be complicated if i was to go to hers.

I chose to go to my okaasan's place over Kasama's cause its a lot nearer (and therefore cheaper) plus i get to meet her children which would be a lot more fun than to go Kasama's place and see the same foreign students i would be seeing everyday during school days.

Anyway.. in the end i skipped Kasama's party cause 1) super tired from shopping at nanba  2) it feels sort of betraying my okaasan if i was to go to Kasama place after the way baaba backstabbed her  3) say goodbye to a good blouse (Kasama's place is somewhere in Kobe) just to eat myself fat? no way!!
In Japan, its not really possible to cancel last minute, but I cooked up a accepable excuse and wiggle myself out of it.

A few nights later, I received a phone call from my okaasan asking me to come over to her house cause she already bought the kushi age sets for us. AND that she heard from Kasama that i didn't go in the end and asked if that was true  ...with a hint of acknowledgemnet and glee in her voice XD.

And so off we go to her house today and live happily every after.

~the end~

No comments:

Featured Post

Saipan Day 4 Diving at Grotto