Saturday, March 18, 2017

Saipan Day 4 Diving at Grotto

S.A.I.P.A.N DAY FOUR

saipan grotto dive

Grotto's water is amazingly blue (cobalt blue to be exact). To compare, have a look at the normal seawater below where we had our first dive as practice.

saipan dive practice

So yea, to dive at Grotto without a diving license, we first had to do a practice dive at a less challenging spot so that we can learn the basics and so that Rie can assess our skills and decide how much freedom she can afford us at Grotto. I love her efficiency. The lesson/briefing began once we settled into her car and by the time we reached the spot, we just put on our wet suits and gear and we're ready to dive.

saipan dive practice mei dive
A little bitty dissatisfaction would be her complete authority over the photo-taking experience. She already has a predetermined set of photo spots. When she ask you to pose, you can't really say no (her tone is pretty serious XD). Like this photo above. I think that's a shrine/tombstone which was a tad creepy for me and I would otherwise definitely avoid taking photo with before I dive into the unknown world for the first time. And you can't really ask her to take your photo at where you want. But she's doing this part for free whereas some other dive shops require an additional fee to help you take your photographs. So, no qualms.

saipan dive practice mei dive
Wet suits are so kakkoii (suai in chinese? can't find the right word in english).

saipan dive practice mei dive
The entry was beach entry type where you just waddle from the shore until your feet cannot reach the bottom. The depth wasn't that much (5m?) and the surface was constantly nearby. The only discomfort I had throughout the dive was my scorching dry throat which felt like the Sahara desert. I did not know I was supposed to swallow from time to time.

saipan dive practice mei dive
Cute fishies in a row

saipan dive practice mei dive
We aced our first dive with flying colors and Rie said we can do a more complicated course at Grotto. Yippie~


saipan grotto dive
Here we are at Grotto!

saipan grotto dive
 Can you see the people snorkeling in the cave?

Here's the infamous arduous steps one has to go through to climb down to Grotto. It's not as bad if you don't have to carry all the heavy diving equipment.

saipan grotto dive
The entry requires courage as well. You have to jump down into the water from a rock while pressing your mask tight to your face or it might slip off from the impact. But you're instantly rewarded once you're in the water. It looked like a scene from FF7 (where Aeris gets stabbed by Sephiroth and Cloud puts her to rest at this really beautiful cobalt-blue lake and Aeris inevitably sinks to the bottom)

saipan grotto dive
Grotto is connected to the outside sea through a few tunnels but it's prohibited to resurface outside for reasons I forgot. And they say the danger is that some divers without a guide would get lost after going out into the sea, unable to find their way back into Grotto.  

saipan grotto dive


Prawns

saipan grotto dive 
In total, we went through 3 tunnels, which I didn't really noticed but XW did. Underwater, I lost what little sense direction I had to be begin with. Plus the tunnels weren't the narrow dark ones I imagined. From reviews, some people had advised against diving here for those who are afraid of narrow dark places but the tunnels were actually so huge that I didn't even realized I was going through them.

saipan grotto dive

saipan grotto dive

saipan grotto dive
Would recommend Rie if any beginners without license are looking to dive at Grotto. Not sure how good she is in communicating in English though. But her no-nonsense attitude and confidence made me felt safe and I feel that if I do run into any trouble underwater, she would be capable of saving my life XD. Her choice of life is so fascinating and refreshing for me. Going out of Japan and coming to an island to open a diving shop. She mentioned it's hard to be a diver in Japan unless you come from a fishery family. I think I heard something similar before about how the Japan fishermen don't let strangers into their turf.

saipan grotto dive

Grotto was breathlessly dazzling and silent. It's much deeper than our first dive and I remember thinking that 'wow, if I panic I could really die here'.  I hope I get to see visit more sacred places like these :)

saipan grotto dive
Doing the safety stop where we pause a few minutes before ascending completely. I still did not know I was supposed to swallow from time to time so by the end of the dive, my throat was so uncomfortable it was hard to concentrate on anything else. The trip back up the stairs were even more strenuous than when we descended and the only thing that kept me going was the thought of finally getting rid of the freaking heavy oxygen tank off my back XD. Lol, in the end I'm not really sure if I enjoy diving or not. I've come to the conclusion that I won't probably be diving just for the sake of diving but if it's to experience awesome views like Grotto or to see ray fish/whales/fascinating sea creatures, I'd gladly lug those heavy equipment any day.

--
Two Dives with Mei Dive : 100USD
First dive: Entry time about 2pm for 30~40 mins
Second dive: Entry time about 4pm for 30~40 mins

No comments:

Featured Post

Saipan Day 4 Diving at Grotto